Hi all,
which is the suggested IDE to develop modules on Drupal8?
Which tools do you use?

I'm using Eclipse but I still can't execute remote debugging and I can't use features like "Open Declaration" of methods.
I 'm sure that the experienced developers of Drupal use these functions every day, this is why I'm asking you what tools are you using.

I'm used to develop with an Eclipse installed on my PC which opens a development site installed on a virtual machine in the local network.

Thank you very much

Claudio

Comments

sprite’s picture

Use:

https://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/

Install xdebug

Run with local XAMPP/MAMP/WAMP server.

spritefully yours
Technical assistance provided to the Drupal community on my own time ...
Thank yous appreciated ...

ilclaudio’s picture

Thank you, I've seen that PhpStorm is a great tool, perhaps it is a bit expensive.
We use a virtual machine to develop sites because it is simpler to simulate a production environment and anyone of the team or the customer can access to it. However there many problems to setup a working environment to debug modules with breakpoints and other stuff.

dotmundo’s picture

Sublime Text works for me and is free. Unfortunately it is not as robust as PHPStorm nor Eclipse particularly in debugging. I would love to use PHPStorm but it is very expensive.

sprite’s picture

The original poster need a debugger, not just a text editor.

Does sublime text support breakpoint debugging?

spritefully yours
Technical assistance provided to the Drupal community on my own time ...
Thank yous appreciated ...

dotmundo’s picture

No it doesn't

ilclaudio’s picture

I'm using Eclipse that is free too, but I'm looking for a tool which simplifies the debugging phase.

Jaypan’s picture

I've been using Atom as of recent. It's free, has Drupal plugins, and can be used as an IDE for debugging as well. It's all open source, and there are a lot of add-ons that people have developed.

ilclaudio’s picture

Thank you, I'll try it.

Do you know if it allows to debug the remote sites (on a remote virtual machine)?

Jaypan’s picture

It has remote debugging capability I believe, however I have not used it.

callpri’s picture

I use and recommend Codelobster IDE with special plug-in for Drupal development - http://www.codelobster.com/drupal.html

dco’s picture

After testing several other apps it's definitively the best way for me (on Mac)

It's a little bit expensive but it really save my time

Antonín Slejška’s picture