Hello Everyone,

I am requesting volunteers in what I think is simple module but that I lack the php, mysql, drupal know how to put it together. Basically the module needs to perform three tasks; create a block with content pulled from the db, create links for the content on the block to other db content, which will be displayed when clicked.

What I have is an spreadsheet file which consist of 5-6 columns and roughly 25,000 rows worth of content (see html example below) which I can turn into a mysql dump of the same proportions (table with 5-6 fields and 25,000 entries). So what I like to do is have field one (eg. Categories) populate the block (which will be labeled Categories or edited at will), each entry in this block will have a name (eg. accessories) which then when clicked will display a page with all the entries that correspond to this category, with of coarse a limit of how many entries to display per page (can be edit as well) and a menu displayed atop the entries ( Back 1, 2, 3, ... Next) so that all entries in that category can be browsed. I am not to sure what other applications this could be used for but in my case displaying large amounts of content without having to create tens or hundreds of pages but just as simple as doing a data dump and letting the module do the work. In my case more specifically displaying a product list. Any input, thoughts or ideas welcomed.

Category SubCategory Vendor Name Vendor Part Number Description
Accessories Cables/Connectors Startech Computer Products SCSI22 6FT EXTERNAL SCS12 CABLE HD50M TO HD50M US#105537
Accessories Cables/Connectors IMI SPECIAL ORDERS GN 2125-NCD NOISE CANCELING 2125-NCD-01 BINAURAL DIRECT CONNECT

Thanks,

Comments

Dries’s picture

Note that you can always hire someone to implement custom modules.

moshe weitzman’s picture

Here is 1 way to solve this ...

- you need a custom module called part.module.
- this module has an accompanying table with columns for Vendor Name, Part Number, and any other attributes of a part.
- you will store the title and description of the part in the node table
- you will store the Category and SubCategory info in the taxonomy system.

So I would start by getting this module written and working. Then you have to do a data dump into tables node, part, and term_node.

If your number of categories and subcategories is high, then I suggest doing a n import of it also instead of entering by hand. The relevant table here is the term_data table.

I am available for custom programming should you need help with this. See the services page for details.

topogijo’s picture

Hi Moshe,

Wouldn't it be better to created a custom block that pulls the categories name from the db (category and subcategory will be changing somewhat with every data dump)? And if I were to create a taxonomy how would that be linked to product list output pages?

Cheers,

sgtaw’s picture

I would love to be able to do this too!

ED