It seems that the very promising Google module's development is dead. The module was build directly after Google API's were opened and was - at that time - state of the art.

However, we only scratched the possibilities of Google's potential. I can think of a dozen ways how we could (re)use the API within drupal. Is anyone able and willing to take this project again?

BTW: The module was never released within the drupal site but is still available at: natrak

Comments

moshe weitzman’s picture

perhaps you will have success stimulating developers by posting your ideas on how to extend this module. just a thought ...

Kjartan’s picture

I'm still interested in making the google module more usefull, but I lack real world usees for it that are more than a novelty that people play with for 10 minutes then forget about.

--
Kjartan

Nathan-1’s picture

I think a google module would be very useful -
There is a gap in the market for some kind of tool using google to scan the google news using certain parameters (eg: design + future in my case) and display a list of current news for tat topic area.

Also for a dynamic content automation system - to have query google for certain topics and create sentences or clumps of text extracted from alla round the web based on certain keywords.

It would be experimental to start off with for sure but I'm sure it would prove useful once tweaked.

Also another idea i had was an events diary produced by google - if you could query google for specific events again organised by topic, you could generate a calendar of art/design events or gallery openings for example...

More idea? Just ask me Only local images are allowed.

Nathan

DesignFutures.net(in development)

joe lombardo’s picture

There are a few interesting and entertaining google applications showcased at googuide.com.

I particularly liked the focused search concept implemented by Cookin' With Google. This implementation returns recipe results from several recipe sites, but it could just as easily be configured to enable searching open source development sites like freshmeat and sourceforge.

I don't know if it needs a module though, I simulated it with the following code.

<code>
<form Action="http://www.google.com/search" method="get"> Search for : 
  <input TYPE="text" Name="q" SIZE=30">
  <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="q" VALUE="(site:jars.com | 
    inurl:javaboutique | inurl:jars.com | site:earthweb.com | 
    inurl:flashkit )">
  <input TYPE="submit" Value="Submit">
</form>

- Joe

Joe Lombardo | joe@familytimes.com | My Blog

joe lombardo’s picture

This would probably be hard to implement, but google would make a fentasstik spel cheker. Only local images are allowed. There is already a feature request for a drupal spell checker.

bertboerland’s picture

i like the ideas in this thread. personally i use google for spellchecking words as well, as was propssed on top

complete posting of ideas at listarchive

* egosurfing (display information about the registerd user)
* surf for the words in the node when one node is selected (with the
risk of finding the node it self (GIR, GIR is recursive?
* have special "tags" [1] in the node automaticaly be links to google
and display information about it in block
* have special "tags" [1] in the node automatically be links to froogle
and display relevant products in block
* have special "tags" [1] in the node automaticaly be links to glosary
and display information about it in block
* google for relevant keywords from the taxomonie (if enabled)
* display a google cached picture in block based on words in title of
node (copyright?)

even more stupid features might include:
whoisgoogeling (do a whois lookup on the ip adress of the source, take
the relevant fields out the whois database and google that)

and so on..

--
groets

bertb

--
groets
bert boerland

joe lombardo’s picture

The google glossary block and the froogle product block seem useful to me.

I thought that google api only provided access to the standard results and not their special collections like news, froogle and glossary.

If it is possible to get news results from the api, than that would clearly make for a useful service.

- Joe

Anonymous’s picture

We can use fopen("http://www.google.com/search?q=Some thing");
and then use Regexp to extracting data , to use it in our page , with php(regexp) Only local images are allowed.
neocondor@Phreaker.net

Anonymous’s picture

you can't. Google won't let you do that, try it.

bertboerland’s picture

you might want to read this article to do the google api-ing in a block

so the paramters cant be edited from within a module but are "hardcoded" in a block. still, looks like the functionality is the same. I will try this module^H^H^H^H^H^Hblock later this week

--
groets

bertb

--
groets
bert boerland