I have some freelance work in the pipeline and I was thinking about using Linode to host a Drupal installation, has anyone had any experience with that? Good or bad? Linda seems to have a lot of good documentation about how to get a Drupal installation working, and since their service is just basically renting out a VPS, I can't see any major incompatibility problems. But any feedback or anecdotal evidence would be appreciated.

Comments

Jaypan’s picture

Good hardware, works fast, Drupal can run fine on it.

Only question is, do you know servers well? You'll need to set it up yourself (unless you get their fully managed server). That can be dangerous - if you don't know how to set up the security well you can get yourself hacked. And/or if there is a problem, you'll need to fix it yourself.

pkrebs’s picture

Thanks! Good to know its reliable and it works. The client doesn't have the budget for a larger host like Acquia. So I am looking into smaller solutions like Linode. And I will definitely take what you said about security into consideration. Thank you

FelicianoTech’s picture

Running Drupal on a Linode, software-wise, is the same as running it on any server you have access to. We barely change the distributions so you're getting an out-of-the-box experience. Hardware performance is where we choose to strive and perform better than competing companies.

Documentation for Drupal would apply to us the same as anywhere else. As the previous commenter stated, you just need to handle some basic system administration task such as updating the OS, maintaining the firewall, etc.

hamza.gt’s picture

I did try out a Drupal installation on Linode, and have been using it for a while now. I can confidently say that I have no complaints. Linode is a well-known provider and has been on the scene for quite a while, not to mention it boasts a pretty significant community as well.

Co-incidentally, I was checking out managed solutions and found out that Cloudways just launched Linode as well. Yay!