I am setting up a test site (mostly for learning and general testing) on dreamhost. After installing drupal 5, and opening php myadmin i get the following error:

The mbstring PHP extension was not found and you seem to be using a multibyte charset. Without the mbstring extension phpMyAdmin is unable to split strings correctly and it may result in unexpected results.

So I tried to look up adding custom php_extensions but couldnt get it to work. So I tried to set it up compiling a custom php.ini setup but couldnt figure out how to do that since I am running a windows machine and my Dreamhost server in unix based. So how am I supposed to compile and install it if Im not in linux? can i use the windows binaries, because i cant find anywhere that says yay or nay. I jsut want to be able to upload my own custom php file so i can edit this myself. Dreamhost seems to be strick if any on changong the php.ini files for thier users. And i cant find much information on the Dreamhost forum that helps since they talk about compiling in unix.

Is there a way i can copy files to the server and run a console from the server? (i couldnt find one). If so which files do I need and how do I install them. Sorry for sounding like a noob but ive gotten use to testing on my localmachine/laptop so now that im using a server its not all as easy. Any help would be great

Comments

VM’s picture

this is something your host needs to take care of If you can't use a custom php.ini file.

If you can't get it done, you should move hosts.

awakenedvoice’s picture

I was researching custom php.ini on Dreamhost a few days ago and came up with the following link. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Custom_PHP.ini#Alternate_Non-shell_method

Using that method I was able to create a custom php.ini and make a few tweaks that improved the functionality of my site.

Rob Safuto
http://www.awakenedvoice.com

luckysmack’s picture

Hey thanks man that worked like a dream, no pun intended. so now would i be able to load the php.ini file from my desktop/localhost? I know i would have to change localhost to my sql host. I just had a lot of customizations in that file and had extra php modules loaded. Or could I just add the un-commented "LoadModule" lines that I need. And from what I understand my server will still use the dreamhost php.ini file but anything I have in mine will override that, so I could just add the needed LoadModule statement right?

well anyways thanks for the links, worked great. appreciate it