I am installing drupal for the first time withOUT using fantastico.

Stuck on the install instructions:

"chmod o+w sites/default"

I only use filezilla's built in chmod/permissions feature (right click on file, enter in 777, 644, etc for permissions)

What is the Number equivalent of chmod o+w?

Thanks and sorry for the stupid question.

Comments

BAMaustin’s picture

Here's a link to a javascript CHMOD calculator (source code and sample included):
  http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/chmodcal.shtml

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

nightfax’s picture

thanks !

Walt Esquivel’s picture

Laurel Papworth’s picture

The one's above gave you everything but the answer :)

I tried to look it up - I think that o+w = others +write. probably 666 will be enough. (Others = Public on your File Attributes setting).

davedigerati’s picture

I checked before and after a few times and best I can figure it is 602.

This equates to User read & write and Group nada and Other/World write
aka rw-----w-

If I botched that someone please yell!

vpaez’s picture

i can run command lines from cyberduck and what it comes up with for the file permissions it is 600.

danfinney’s picture

lsrzj’s picture

chmod o+w means that you are going to give others the write permission WITHOUT altering user and group permissions. You can use chmod ugo+rwx to give 777 permision, chmod u+rwx,go= to give 700, chmod u+r,g-w,o+x to give a permission that if user didn't have the read permission so it will have and will not alter any other user permission, if group had the write permission so it will revoke it without altering any other group permission and if others didn't have the execute permission so it will have it without altering any other "others" permissions. So the numeric permissions are hard to predict.

alanom’s picture

So the answer to our friend's question:

The number equivalent of chmod o+w is: Whatever the number was before, +2 to the last digit. Unless that digit is 2, 6, or 7, in which case, it's already fine, because it's already had 2 added to it.

So, if it was 755, it's 757. If it was 000, it becomes 002. If it was 436, it stays as 436. etc etc.

(sorry to comment on an old thread, but this thread is near-top on Google so might be useful to other people. Other similar threads are full of misleading but temptingly simple disinformation like "It's 002" or "It's 757" or "It's 646", which might appeal to a stressed person with a deadline and will appear to work at first, but could cause hard to diagnose problems later on)

jmbailey’s picture

this was very helpful. i know it's an old post, but just wanted to let alanomaly know that it did help someone out there.