Apparently Mozilla, Lynx and Opera display my drupal managed site perfectly, runs great, always has run great, administers perfectly everything is kosher. However, when remote Internet Explorer users try to view my site, it will load the page fine and dandy, then kick them to a second page, either a DNS error, a "cannot download specified resource" error, or a not found page. I've upgraded to 4.3.1, I ripped out all but the default theme, tried xtemplate and marvin, I've reinstalled the latest version of apache (with a fresh config rebuilt specifically for this, only tweaking virtual hosts for a few domains and NameVirtualHost directives, well, and a few directory directives). All but the latest version of php I have updated, still, the same error. What's strange is if I view it it is fine and dandy, if I view it on another comp across my LAN, which comes through the ISP just like a remote user (static ips), it works fine and dandy, however, if someone remotely tries to view it it will behave this way. I am stumped, I've asked other people and they are stumped, I was about ready to install IIS, until I realized how many of those little _vti_pvt directories they want to spew about before my poor overloaded hard drive and decided that'd be a bad idea, I read something about content termination due to a short mysql field for say a large database entry (700k+) or an apache bug with xp for a large page (30k+) and I don't think this problem attributes to any of the above, because it cannot be apache because any other browser views the page in whole and everyone I've asked said it looks fine in any browser other than IE. Is there any thing I can do to get IE working, or anything I can give you guys for further information? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want nothing more than drupal to work, there is no better CMS by oh so far, you people rock.

Comments

moshe weitzman’s picture

i suggest deactivating all non-required modules and see if that helps

Xedecimal’s picture

I removed alllll but the default modules, I'll try a brand spanking new fresh drupal install today, I'm fairly sure I've already done this but I can't remember whether I did or not. I do know that everything non-drupal works fine and dandy, so there's something really simple and really small somewhere in there that is causing it I'm sure.

Xedecimal’s picture

I finally fixed the problem, I was down to just jumping solution to solution so I don't know exactly which one fixed it, I'm fairly sure it had something to do with removing a module that currently had an entry in the database somehow or other. If only there was a way for drupal to know what modules were added and clean them up on removal (like windows add/remove software) kinda like.

Xedecimal’s picture

Ok, fresh install of drupal, got more people testing it, for some people it works fine and dandy, but for a rare few it'll have this behavior, sometimes when I rip out all the modules, it'll work fine, and sometimes if I don't rip them all out it'll work fine, sometimes when I rip them all out after it broke, it'll continue to do it. Both are using IE 6.0.2600 (one that works, one that doesn't) so it can't be the version, I am experiencing one very standard relation here, I turned on php notices and I get this on the top of any page...

Notice: unserialize(): Error at offset 0 of 4 bytes in includes\common.inc on line 204

And of course two warnings because output had already started, and I was thinking, "ok, since output has already started and it can't be doing any redirecting, we'll leave this on and have them try again", but it still gave the error, that rules out one header("Content-Type: blah") I found it was sending in common.inc I think it was... What a troublesome little error, hope this additional information can give someone an idea of what might be causing it.