I'm currently using Site5 for hosting my personal blog site built using Drupal. As the account is going to be expire, I want to quit this company and go to another one of BlueHost. How can I start the migration without losing my entire database?

Comments

alinouman’s picture

You could use backup and migrate module to backup the database and FTP for files. Then you could deploy files and database too on another host.

ckaroun’s picture

The Backup and Migrate module was the only thing that worked for me. I tried using phpmyadmin to migrate the database from my local computer onto the amazon web services server but it didn't work. In addition to migrating the database with the module I secure copied drupal's themes and modules folders under sites>all to the server as well as move the public files which for my drupal settings was under sites>default>files to the drupal image Amazon provided. You can see where your drupal stores all of its uploaded content under administration>configuration menu. I am pretty sure a database backup wouldn't work without these files. Also this restored EVERYTHING from the local version including module settings and inputs so you shouldn't have to redo parts of your website after the transfer.

vijaythummar’s picture

Also don't miss to update settings.php with new database server configuration and setup cronjob on new server.

Thanks,
Vijay Thummar

Thanks,
Vijay Thummar

peggyren31’s picture

Before everything starts, I think you should have a look at these two documentations, from which you can learn how to migrate your Drupal site in detail.

https://drupalhosts.org/migrate-drupal-site/
https://www.drupal.org/node/776864

In fact, Drupal site migration is not a difficult task. You can achieve your goal via four basic steps:

#1, backup your old Drupal site to make sure that you won't lose your valuable information if something goes wrong.
#2, Go to your control panel and use phpMyAdmin to export your database and save the file as SQL format.
#3, Create a new database for your new site and insert that file totally.
#4, change the DNS settings and start your new site.

dev25’s picture

I have a heck of a time following these steps, I keep getting the following.

Any ideas?

Additional uncaught exception thrown while handling exception.

Original

PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away: SELECT expire, value FROM {semaphore} WHERE name = :name; Array ( [:name] => theme_registry:runtime:bartik:cache ) in lock_may_be_available() (line 167 of /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/emra_drupal/includes/lock.inc).

Additional

PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away: SELECT expire, value FROM {semaphore} WHERE name = :name; Array ( [:name] => theme_registry:runtime:bartik:cache ) in lock_may_be_available() (line 167 of /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/emra_drupal/includes/lock.inc).

Uncaught exception thrown in session handler.

PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away: SELECT 1 AS expression FROM {sessions} sessions WHERE ( (sid = :db_condition_placeholder_0) AND (ssid = :db_condition_placeholder_1) ); Array ( [:db_condition_placeholder_0] => ffCbxT0-Ekzo47Z5URt9vAUjqA3SpBdQPPr3853gMd4 [:db_condition_placeholder_1] => ) in _drupal_session_write() (line 209 of /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/emra_drupal/includes/session.inc).

Uncaught exception thrown in shutdown function.

PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 2006 MySQL server has gone away: DELETE FROM {semaphore} WHERE (value = :db_condition_placeholder_0) ; Array ( [:db_condition_placeholder_0] => 1475596818564f7dd3d27d12.52706549 ) in lock_release_all() (line 269 of /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/emra_drupal/includes/lock.inc).

drm’s picture

Note that some hosting companies offer to do the migration for you. If you're worried about it, choose a host that will do that.

Luna Lai’s picture

Maybe your can ask for the support of your new host Bluehost. These days, the most of web hosts provide migrate services to attract more customers. So, go to ask Bluehost whether they have such services. If they do, you will save much time and energy.

Skhan_drupal’s picture

Hello everyone,
I am new here, i have problem, i want to migrate my existing drupal site form one hosting to another. How can i do this?
I don't want to do this from scratch.

Skhan_drupal’s picture

I need to know that for transfer my existing website from one web hosting to another, i have to install drupal on my new hosting or not? or just copy files and database from my old webhost and upload to new webhost?

ceoatrediansoftware’s picture

There no as such issue in transferring website from one server to another server, you just need to make sure that it has the same configuration as the current server and all required PHP extensions are installed.

Login to cPanel of current server and zip entire files and download it to your local machine and then login to PHPMyAdmin and clear cache table (otherwise cache data will also get exported, which is not actually needed).

Now upload files to the root of new server and unzip the files. Create a database and import the downloaded sql file. Once Drupal files and database is uploaded change the database username and password at under sites/default/settings.php

And then update nameserver in the DNS.