I have been toying with the idea trying out a CMS based website creation and have recently installed Drupal7 on my server. I have been getting to grips with the basic concepts but struggling to understand how to migrate my existing site, created in Dreamweaver (www.scotlandsartists.com), which uses a MySQL database for the majority of its content, over. After searching your forums it seems that the 'Migrate' and 'Feeds' modules are required and have installed these.
My problem, I am sure, lies in my lack of understanding in how to use them.I can export the current database tables to csv, do I then have to recreate the individual tables or will Drupal import as is. Also some of the tables are joined, does that cause any additional problems?
I also have a slideshow on the Home page and on various other pages a selection of random images on page refresh.
Are there any tutorials that would help me in my quest to move over to Drupal?
Thank you for taking the time to look at this post and hope that you experienced Drupal users can help me.
John

Comments

WorldFallz’s picture

afaik, using either migrate or feeds you'll need to design and create the drupal site first, then you can focus on migrating the content from the old system to the new.

redjumpsuit’s picture

from my experience, the best way to migrate is write your custom migration scripts. for my first task on my recent job i had to migrate a magazine site with hundreds of thousands of articles, assets and users and though i've looked at the migrate module and feed module i still ended up writing my own scripts. there are lots of resources online, just search for "programmatically create nodes in drupal" :) that's how i started.

johna1954’s picture

Thank you WorldFallz & redjumpsuit for your replies.
I am beginning to feel that this is going to be far to complicated for me as I am unfamiliar with the coding required. Thankfully I am not in a rush and can take time to learn but I feel there is a pressing need for some very basic (for me anyway) tutorials/practical examples that would help the gain experience and confidence.

WorldFallz’s picture

Start with the videos at nodeone.se, drupalize.me (there's lots of free ones), and mustardseedmedia.com. There's great stuff there.

johna1954’s picture

Hi WorldFallz, the Nodeone site looks fantastic. Already found tutorial on View_Accordian which is one of the features of my own site. If I can crack the database problem I will be far more confident in making the switch.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated

WorldFallz’s picture

If by db problem you mean migrating the content, it's been my experience that it isn't that big a deal-- it's creating the new drupal site to function as you want, for a beginner, that's time consuming. Once that's done, migrating the content goes relatively quickly.