Hi,

I inherited a data structure from a site we are trying to convert into Drupal. The site is for a music artist and has the following four tables relating to one another:

Shows
songs
venues
show-songs matching table.

Relationships:
- Each show entry has a venue id.
- so it's possible to list venue info per show, and shows per venue.
- The show-songs matching table helps a show instance display all the songs (set list) for that particular show.

I'm having a total brain freeze on how to best implement this in Drupal. Currently, I have shows/songs/venues each as their own content type via CCK (replicating the fields, and imported the data in via nodeimport module.) I preserved the show-songs matching table and have hacked the node template to check the content type and if a "show" type make a query to the show-song table to pull songs for that show. I'm also doing something similar with venue, to display all shows at any particular venue.

All works so far, albeit kludgy, but now, I want to create some form of include/persistant form/search area to allow the user to search/browse by venue name and year (via drop down boxes), which I'm at a total loss to do (use the views module somehow, just can't figure out how.)

In any case, I'm thinking that I'm going about this totally wrong and there has to be a better way to utilize other modules with CCK and Views to integrate and display this data better. I've been researching other modules that do various node relationship stuff, but haven't found anything satisfactory.

Any ideas/suggestions/etc., greatly appreciated.

Comments

Wim Leers’s picture

Perhaps you could define your own content type using CCK and then import the data you have using the Import/Export API?

patrickfgoddard’s picture

CCK, definitely. Haven't use the Import/Export API, just the nodeimport module.

I've also been playing around with the Nodereference module, which is helping, but makes me realize I may need to set it up right in Drupal, then manually enter in all data by hand. Ugh...