Hi all. I am the web developer at friendsabroad.com, and we are looking at integrating a blogging engine into the site - tried Wordpress but it is not up to what we need ie content authors posting in custom input formats etc so we are going with Drupal. All we want to do is plug Drupal into the site. I am cool with theming etc so that should not be an issue. The site has 200,000+ users, all contained in mysql, with a complex Java back end. My question is, how difficult will it be to plug Drupal into this framework so it is seamless ie we don't want a log in page etc, we want to see a corporate blog and a series of content posts from content writers, and may spring for podcasts before long.

So - a blog, translated into 7 languages and initially the ability for content writers to post in a series of clearly defined input formats. Any suggestions or caveats would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

xjm’s picture

Well, integrating with an existing site is of course going to be tricker than building from scratch. It's going to be a little or a lot more complicated than simply "plugging the site in" (for any package out there), in degress depending on exactly what you want it to do for you.

When you say you "don't want a login page," does that mean you want your instance of Drupal to use your existing site's authentication system? That's possible; Drupal's user module includes functionality to use so-called "external authentication." However, depending on how your authentication system works, you might have to develop your own module to handle the authentication.

=======================
Just another newbie.
XHTML Strict: it's the way to be.
=======================
Feature request: HTML Source Formatting in TinyMCE

philbar’s picture

I believe I am in the same predicament as the original poster. Basically, I want to use Drupal as strictly a blog on my homepage...for now anyways. The back-end of Drupal is completely fine as far as editing the content. For the front-end aspect, though, I would like a script that I can drop on the current website and it will get the Drupal content and integrate it seamlessly into the current website. I'm in the process of hunting down the command that causes the content to be displayed on the Drupal page and I'm hoping I can cut, modify, and drop it into the current website. Any help with this will greatly be appreciated.

philbar’s picture

I got WordPress to do what I wanted.

See guide:
http://www.transycan.net/blogtest/2005/07/05/integrate/

sepeck’s picture

http://www.networkworld.com/community/ is the community part of Network World and is Drupal based with blogs and such. It is possible to do this but I imagine it would be complicated and beyond my skillset other then, it can be done. Drupal can talk to other databases but you would probably have to build/figure out/integration of the user accounts.

-Steven Peck
---------
Test site, always start with a test site.
Drupal Best Practices Guide -|- Black Mountain

-Steven Peck
---------
Test site, always start with a test site.
Drupal Best Practices Guide