Hey all... Becoming a drupaller and loving it... dispite the confusion and learning curve! But it's going much better than I thought it might.

I have a domain, the primary one, at www.organicchurch.com (which I haven't had time to work on.)

gocoh.com is a multisite of that install, as is viafide.org and hopefully soon, brainbucket.com

However, brainbucket.com is limping along as a static site (html) and currently in use until I can transfer to drupal.

Any way to upload to the site now and start getting data there so I can switch? I don't know what URL to use to get to the new home page for brainbucket.com, but I can't switch with the current site in use by students.

(BTW, I've changed the URL for security reasons... I didn't think it was wise to post the URL of a virgin site up there so anyone could go and get the first login and be my admin... I'd like to do that myself!)

Comments

effebi’s picture

well, if will you change host too you can set your local pc to see on new host in this way:

GNU/Linux system:
edit /etc/hosts and insert the string "IP_ADDRESS brainbucket.com"

Windows system:
look for hosts file (into XP in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)
edit /etc/hosts and insert the string "IP_ADDRESS brainbucket.com"

MacOSX system:
edit /etc/hosts
lookupd -flushcache

if you will not chang host try to install it under some subdirectory, brainbucket.com/cms/, brainbucket.com/web/, ...

screamstone’s picture

brainbucket.com (not the real URL) is live on another host. I'm moving to a new host that's already running www.organicchurch.com and www.gocoh.com. www.Gocoh.com is in the multisite folder (/sites/gocoh.com).

I'd like to get brainbucket.com moved to my drupal host as a multisite also (sites/brainbucket.com), but I can't seem to get to the site now... I've tried

organicchurch.com/sites/brainbucket.com
and
organicchurch.com/brainbucket.com

neither seems to work.

I just can't move it when I'm using the old site. My students need to get to the site. I jsut need to be able to log in long enough to start moving the important data over.

rs

screamstone’s picture

Is it possible to just create a subdomain, set it up, and then change the subdomain to a domain in /sites?

for example:

Set up:

/sites/bb.mydomain.com

then get it running and ready to launch, then simply change the folder in sites to be:

/sites/mynewdomain.com

Will that work? Not sure how Drupal does the whole miltisite magic, so I don't know if changing the folder name will break some of the stuff drupal does to make the multisite work. Will it re-route links and such or will the old links created still point to bb.mysubdomain.com?

This might be the way to make it happen....