I am planning to convert a community Mambo site to Drupal, but since there are no existing mambo->drupal migration scripts (at least not shared here.. contact me if you want to share!), I think it would be a bit of an overkill for me to write a migration script since this is probably a one time effort.

That's why I am looking into database migration software (desktop and server based). But up until now I have only seen software that migrates whole tables from one database to another. What I need is some sort of mapping and conversion built in to the software, so I can somewhat visually choose eg. which columns from the Mambo user table goes where in the Drupal user table (actually including profile fields and also the node table). And perhaps convert unix timestamps from one to a date format in the other.

I have glanced at the MySQL Migration Toolkit but it seems to be like the other migration tools I have tested (i.e. no mapping).

Does anybody have any experience with this kind of software ? Does it exist ?? Any other solutions ? Does anybody have any specific experience with mambo->drupal ?

Comments

bohtho’s picture

Did everyone take a dinner nap when I posted this... ? :-(

smallfluffykat’s picture

I'm not to clued up on database migration but it seems to me that if there was an easy migration tool for databases that allowed mapping there wouldn't be so many people pulling their hair out trying to write migration scripts in this forum.... ;-)

bohtho’s picture

But just as people are developing Drupal as a general cms framework it's understandable and commendable that people also try to write reusable and non-site specific migration scripts, but there still exist software that make one-off HTML sites. Maybe also migration software as depicted above.

bohtho’s picture

Both Mambo/Joomla and TYPO3 has a module(/extension/component) that let's the admin map and import specified columns from other tables (also in another database) into their own tables (both content, users and other stuff).

It's odd that a progressive and thriving community like drupal.org haven't come up with a similar solution. It would also make migration for new Drupal users a breeze in all future.

To take this even further, this module could do this in a very visual way, and/or let users save setups for migration from other CMSes for sharing with others.

As a mere hacker myself I don't know where to start, but I'll at least try to analyze the other CMSes' modules for this to see generally what is needed.

Romout’s picture

Does anyone have a solution for that now?

Owen Barton’s picture

Checkout the Import Export API module

Owen Barton’s picture

Checkout the Import Export API module