Just some basic newbie questions, I would appreciate some input/advice.

Our new website is about to begin development using Drupal 7 and I have some questions concerning deployment. The concept is that the site will be developed and when approved it will be moved to our web server. After this the idea is to update the site regularly by our own people to keep it current and fresh. We will be training our people to do so. So, my questions are.....

1. The site will be developed on a test site and then moved to our web server location replacing the existing site. This site is Drupal compliant. Is this movement feasible? I know that some CMS systems require that the site remains where developed.

2. Clearly the developer will have his own access to all of the elements required for the site as developed at the test location. I would expect that we would have to have our own access to Drupal on the final site. i.e register for Drupal 7 ourselves at which point the location would be configured for Drupal. Is this correct?

3. I am just concerned at how smooth this transfer operation will be.

I very much appreciate the assistance.

David.

Comments

saurabh@drupal’s picture

Hi David,

Firstly, the direct answers to your queries.
1. Yes, movement from local development server to the production environment is feasible.
2. Yes, you need to have the admin user credentials to manage the site on the production instance too.
3. The transfer is very smooth. I will explain in detail below.

General Process:
Drupal application can be developed on a local setup and once it's ready to go live, you can move the two portions i.e. Drupal code base and Drupal application database; to the production server.
After movement of code base and database you also need to test the application in the new environment.

Suggestion:
As you are starting the development, please look into D8 feasibility. Just match it against your requirements and decide.

Let me know in case of any further inputs.

Thanks!

David_600’s picture

Many thanks for your input. All understood. I do have some additional questions.

Our webserver can handle Drupal 7.0, it is there as an option. Would I need to register for this on our webserver in our own right rather than use our web developer's access?

I am thinking that this would be necessary as this registration probably configures the directory structure for Drupal and sets the web server up for Drupal functionality.

Regarding Drupal 8 I will confer with our developers on this. They are working with 7 although I would expect that development in Drupal 7 web pages would be compatible with Drupal 8 however there may be some functionality differences. Is this correct?

Thanks again and regards,

David Wolper

saurabh@drupal’s picture

Hi David,

With Registration, I think you are referring to the installation time profile setup. If yes, you can change the password using which your developer has configured the website.
You can have the super user access with you and can create another users with required privileges for the team, if required.

The D7 and D8 architecture is totally different so the application built on D7 can not be directly upgraded to D8. Two key differences in the architecture are as below.
Theme: D7 follows PHP templates whereas D8 follows the TWIG template engine
Framework: D7 is procedural written whereas D8 is Object Oriented Programmed
So, the application on D7 needs to be actually migrated to D8 in place of normal upgrade that used to be the case for previous Drupal versions.
Also, the complexity of the application will define the complexities during this upgrade/migration process from D7 to D8.

Thanks,
Saurabh

David_600’s picture

Saurabh, Many thanks this all seems clear. I have no doubt there will be more questions as we proceed.

Thanks,

David.