I'm trying to decide whether to migrate to 8 now, or hold off for another year or two.
Been looking for the official support roadmap, but only found the 'relative" one with Y1, Y2, Y3, etc.
( https://www.drupal.org/core/release-cycle-overview )
I understand it's all in flux, but could I possibly get a relatively firm date for version 7 LTS?
(Just want to know when is EOL for Drupal 7.x!)
Would be very helpful for planning...

Comments

Jaypan’s picture

I understand it's all in flux, but could I possibly get a relatively firm date for version 7 LTS?

No one has any clue at all. Literally none. People were asking about D8 for years before it was released, and it was only about four or five months before the actual release date that an estimated release date was announced.

But looking at previous releases, D6 was released in Feb 2008, D7 in Jan 2011, D8 in Nov 2015. It's only been a little over six months since D8 was released, so it's a safe bet that D9 will be at least two years away, and almost definitely longer than that (though this is 100% speculation).

rockandroller’s picture

That's what worries me, D7 being now 5-years-old, according to the 'relative' map ( link above) it has only got a year left till EOL? (??)

Not sure I want to start creating more modules then! ( already have one simple one built in D7)

Jaypan’s picture

That's what worries me, D7 being now 5-years-old, according to the 'relative' map ( link above) it has only got a year left till EOL? (??)

That's extremely doubtful. D7 will be supported until D9 is released, and there is pretty much zero chance whatsoever that D9 will be released in the next year. I'd give it at least two more years, and more likely 3-4.

VM’s picture

EOL isn't time based. It's next major release based. D7 won't be sunset until after the release of D9.

The follow-up question tends to be "when will D9 be released?" to which the answer is when it's finished.

Michelle’s picture

In addition to what the others have said about it being around until D9 is released, D6 is still being kept alive by various companies with their LTS plans and I expect D7 to have that as well. While there's lots of great things in Drupal 8, there's certainly no hurry to upgrade from D7. It has many years of life left.