Hi Guys,

Quick one. We have an ecommerce site right now thats doing quite well based on Magento. We also have a community section on Drupal and we are looking to overhaul the whole community piece. First question from me is would it make more sense all round to base this on Drupal again and if so which version? (not sure if this is a biased question on here!), or switch to Wordpress or even try and develop a seamless Magento integration for our community section?

Any advice / guidance appreciated as marketing and tech functions have different views on it right now.
We are on Drupal 7.

Cheers

Comments

bander2’s picture

What does the community section consist of?

- Brendan

marky1970’s picture

It consists of a forum section, and two core CMS sections, one for blogs and one for articles. Hard to explain but hopefully you get the drift. We would like it all to be much easier for users to contribute and interact.

babipanghang’s picture

What makes you want to overhaul the community section? A lack of features? A nicer look? Performance? Restructuring? Something else?

In case of a lack of features, have a look around if some modules might fix your problem. A nicer look can be achieved with a nicer theme ;-). Performance issues can be fixed with drupal as well. So in those cases, i'd say take the easiest route and stay with your current platform.

In case of restructuring, depending on how drastically you want to restructure, i'd advise to have a look which platform best fits your technical needs. Generally, drupal is quite flexible but other platforms may be able to achieve what you want quicker and/or easier.

Don't know about Magento integration though...

Did i answer your question on the forums? I love to hear a reply wether or not it worked for you!
Jaap - Acquia certified drupal site builder

marky1970’s picture

Yeah we have looked at some theming but we have struggled to get drupal to give us the flexibility we were looking for to cross promote products, manage from the back end, etc.

If it helps, this is our site to understand the integration better: www.theproteinworks.com

Just look at the locker room section in the main nav. Any help or feedback much appreciated. :-)

slinky’s picture

Wordpress is not a community oriented software. It's a blog. Any extension will be just that. There are numerous different specialized community software offerings that can accomplish what you need. I can't imagine why you'd use Drupal for that portion, although people do. The forum and community is not its forte, nor does it seem intended to be. IMHO, use the best tool designed for the job if you can.

marky1970’s picture

This is exactly the conversation I have been having with the dev team! We want more than just a blog capability. What therefore would you say is the best tool designed for the job to allow us to have articles, blogs, general content, etc?