I am considering using drupal. I am wondering if anyone has experience with installing drupal at a webhostprovider. I can imagine there will be some trouble with edits in /etc/php.ini. Is it possible to install an d use drupal if you do not have complete (root) acces to a console?

Comments

Carl Ditzler’s picture

Running Drupal on 3 different hosts now. One host does not have mod_rewrite installed, a little annoying because I like Drupal's support of clean urls.

Drupal does include a custom .htaccess file.

carlmcdade’s picture

I work with two hosting providers that have Drupal under Installatron both under Direct Admin and CPanel. I did not see it before two days ago even though they have had it for a while.

So check with your provider.

---------------------------
proof that Drupal will work on PHP5
www.hivemindz.com
www.fireorb.org

chrisada’s picture

I have never had to alter php.ini on the 2 hosts that I use. (and run Drupal on)

But I can't live withou clean URL. Better check if mod_rewrite is enabled before you sign up.

Also, having shell access has helped me many times.

veridicus’s picture

I use 1&1 and have no problems. My test machine at home has the default php install and also has no problems.

If you're concerned about php settings, know that you can set the same options that are in .htaccess and php.ini using the ini_set function in your config file. Others have done this without any problems.
---
Don't use Microsoft software

alcohen’s picture

I'm running several Drupal sites at affordablehost.com.

Very inexpensive, installs in a moment with their control panel, great tech support.

ewilts’s picture

I'm running Drupal without any issues at VizaWeb (http://www.vizaweb.com). In fact, their CPanel/Fantastico management/installer interface has Drupal as one of its content management systems. A few clicks and it's all installed and ready to be managed.

Learning Drupal is a different challenge, but at least the install is trivial.

Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org

andyatkinson’s picture

I have been EXTREMELY dissatisfied with Vizaweb. I hosted with them for about one year. Their service is very poor compared with my current webhost, Bluehost, who offers 24 hour phone support. I have NEVER been able to get Vizaweb on the phone, even after 1.5 years. I HIGHLY recommend you do not purchase Vizaweb hosting. Feel free to email me and I can elaborate on specific negative experiences.