DROPSOLID AMONG THE FIRST EXCLUSIVE PARTNERS PROVIDING LONG TERM SUPPORT FOR DRUPAL 7, WORLDWIDE. (D7 LTS)

Drupal 9 came out late last year, Drupal 8 reaches its end-of-life in November 2021, and Drupal 7's life will end in November 2022 (the date was extended due to COVID-19 and the large number of active users). With a time frame of just under a year and a half to upgrade from 7 to 9? Is it time to make a plan, or seek other options if that timeline is not feasible. But what other options are there?

Today, we are excited to announce that Dropsolid has joined as one of the exclusive partners that will offer Extended Support for Drupal 7 up until November 2025. This means you get at least 3 extra years of full security coverage. This Extended support program is in collaboration with the Drupal Association and Drupal Security Team, and will give you official support on your Drupal 7 site for a whole extra 3 years. This will give you all the time you need to take the right steps towards a new Digital Experience Platform on Drupal 9 and beyond.

Last year, we encouraged our clients to begin planning their migrations to Drupal 8. Not unsurprisingly, as we will need to say goodbye to our friend, Drupal 7, soon.

Drupal 7 was released on January 5, 2011. Drupal 8 was released on November 19, 2015 and the latest and shiniest release came out a couple days ago with Drupal 9 on June 3, 2020. Drupal 7 is almost 10 years old, and will be almost 12 years old when it comes time to say goodbye in November 2022.

New version or next level?

Moving from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 or 9 could be a great opportunity to upgrade your digital platforms to the next level instead of merely to the next version. Drupal 9 is more than a CMS, it’s a DXP. Turning your website into a personalized digital experience is not something you do overnight. You need to be well prepared, start from a digital strategy with clear goals. Taking time for that preparation now, will pay off later.

Drupal Extended Support can be a solution if you need more time to finish your digital transformation strategy before upgrading.

Read the rest of the article here: DROPSOLID AMONG THE FIRST EXCLUSIVE PARTNERS PROVIDING LONG TERM SUPPORT FOR DRUPAL 7, WORLDWIDE. (D7 LTS)

Comments

babaaa’s picture

I'm very glad to hear that you have decided to extend support for Drupal7.

I believe that Drupal7 is the best CMS and many websites still use this including my several sites.

As you said, upgrading to Drupal8/9 from 7 might be a great opportunity, but it is quite challenging. I have many contents on the website made by Drupal7, but they are difficult to migrate to Drupal8/9 as their original contents. 

I hope if there is a possibility to continue development of Drupal7 successive project as a great CMS.
I have some ideas for this project if any:
 - New idea of edge based CMS.
     -I'm seeking for a project to keep Databese and Backend system to the edge(not directly connected to the internet) and only Frontend system and the mirror necessary database on the internet to make the system more secure.
     -In this idea, data is input on hand to the edge computer and upload it to the frontend system on the internet as necessary basis. Post from outside can be kept at the frontend system temporary, but it should be downloaded to the edge and renew the whole data as a part of approval process and upload again on the frontend system.
     - This may seem to be too much a roundabout way, but I think it should improve the system security because only frontend system is exposed to the online, and even if it is attacked and damaged, data can be easily recover from original on the edge.

- Easily migrate from D7 and to D8/9 (I think it is better if there is a bridge project from D7 to D8/9 if possible).

I would really appreciate if you have any comments.