Congratulations to Angela Byron for her mention in The Economist:

I'm A total geek all around, says Angela Byron, a 27-year-old computer programmer who has just graduated from Nova Scotia Community College. And yet, like many other students, she never had the confidence to approach any of the various open-source software communities on the internet—distributed teams of volunteers who collaborate to build software that is then made freely available. But thanks to Google, the world's most popular search engine and one of the biggest proponents of open-source software, Ms Byron spent the summer contributing code to Drupal, an open-source project that automates the management of websites.…

Angela was part of the team that worked on the Google Summer of Code. She also spends a lot of time helping out in the Drupal forums. We're glad to have fantastic people like her as part of the community. Congrats again on getting interviewed by The Economist.

Comments

pfmj2005’s picture

A really big congratulations to you for your interview!

----------------------------------
Paul Malenke
paul.malenke@gmail.com
AfterDeathGraphics.com

webchick’s picture

Thanks a lot for pointing this out, Boris! I wonder what other embarrassing quotes are in there... will have to pick it up tomorrow. ;)

Chris DiBona from Google posted a message to the accepted students' mailing list asking for volunteers, and I replied. I was phoned by one of the reporters and we basically just talked for a half hour or so about the Summer of Code program, what I was working on, and so on. I tried to pimp Drupal as much as I could. ;) Cool to know that it actually got published!

pfmj2005’s picture

I posted earlier in this but after that I looked at your ePortfolio... I really like it! Then I got to the about page and realized you are/were a Minnesotan! It's nice to finally find someone on drupal.org that is even close to me location wise... everyone else is so far away...but anyways, Once again, Keep up the good work!

------------------------------------
Paul Malenke
paul.malenke@gmail.com
AfterDeathGraphics.com

kbahey’s picture

Hey Paul

We in Canada will claim her now she is famous! It says Nova Scotia in there!

(Oh, both places will be really cold soon, so .... :-)

--
Drupal development and customization: 2bits.com
Personal: Baheyeldin.com

--
Drupal performance tuning and optimization, hosting, development, and consulting: 2bits.com, Inc. and Twitter at: @2bits
Personal blog: Ba

webchick’s picture

I actually live in Montréal now... That site needs updating desperately. :P I'm planning to move it to Drupal at the same time though once I get some free time (ha! free time! I kill me! ;)).

Anyway, nice to "meet" a fellow Minnesotan, Paul! Thanks a lot for the compliments on my humble site! :) Keep up the good work on your graphics!

Khalid: Hoping to give quiz module some lovin' this weekend so it's hopefully primed and ready for when that issue of The Economist hits on Monday/Tuesday. ;)

And thanks to everyone else for the congrats too!

vwX’s picture

Congratulations.

Publicity is a funny thing. Last year my kids made the paper several times, my wife had a quote in the paper for Martin Luther King day and we were interviewed on TV for a fitness walk. Didn't get to mention Drupal in any of those :(.

Have fun and check my Drupal Profile: http://drupal.org/user/519

fearghaill’s picture

Just kidding angie... Ian mentioned your newfound fame in his latest email to the class, and this is what a google for "The Economist" "Angela Byron" turned up. I had to register, if for no other reason than to bug the class keener ;)

Doug

webchick’s picture

Nice to see you! :)

Malthus’s picture

Great stuff webchick! And congrats to all the other SoC coders :)

cel4145’s picture

You even got the lead in paragraph. Fame and fortune since that's the only free paragraph from the article on the web :)

I must say, The Economist at that. Very cool.

Gunnar Langemark’s picture

This is very good news for Drupal.
Getting mention in a mainstream business mag. is not something to ignore!
Very very cool indeed!

:-)

Gunnar Langemark
http://www.langemark.com

noid’s picture

Congratulations! :)

kbahey’s picture

Hi Angie

Congrats!

Hope the Quiz module is ready for release soon!

--

--
Drupal performance tuning and optimization, hosting, development, and consulting: 2bits.com, Inc. and Twitter at: @2bits

Gunny-1’s picture

Well done, Webchick & Drupal. The community including http://drupal.org/profile/gender/female are proud of you. Curious to know how many of them (total count) have joined so far ?

kbahey’s picture

Angie is the first one to contribute heavily in Drupal (coding I mean)

There used be someone by the name media girl.

There is also Laura S now as well.

Also srlinuxx is a Linux fan who runs her web sites on Drupal and frequents the site here a lot.

Sorry if I missed anyone else ...

--

--

chx’s picture

Anisa under the nick rivena.
--
Read my developer blog on Drupal4hu.

--
Drupal development: making the world better, one patch at a time. | A bedroom without a teddy is like a face without a smile.

kbahey’s picture

I always wondered if Anisa was a she not a he.

There is a similar name in Turkish/Arabic that is female, possibly also Bosnian/Albanian, but in international forums, one can never assume anything.

Good work Anisa

--

--

sami_k’s picture

306 total females at time of this post.
--
Please read the handbook, search the forums, then ask...
http://drupal.etopian.net (Modules and Drupal Services)

Gunny-1’s picture

wow. Guess you got that figure by browsing through the female members list and not by using any sql query (unless you have access to drupal.org database).

Thought if drupal can open up (through RPC) these parameters to members.

webchick’s picture

Go to the profile of any member and click on any of the links. The "female" link will take you to http://drupal.org/profile/gender/female where you can use math (# of records per page x number of pages) to figure out how many females there are. This works for any other links on the page as well... for example, these people are interested in web standards: http://drupal.org/profile/interest/web+standards

sami_k’s picture

((row1_firstpage * col1_firstpage) * (lastpage_pager-1)) + nodes_lastpage

--
Please read the handbook, search the forums, then ask...
http://drupal.etopian.net (Modules and Drupal Services)

chx’s picture

There are 16 pages of females and 187 of males. There are well over 30000 users on drupal.org. I know Raul's laws that state "[Wikipedia] has a disproportionately large number of gays, transgendered, and furries." and I even know that some of the best developers are in these categories but over 20 000 of them? :D
--
Read my developer blog on Drupal4hu.

--
Drupal development: making the world better, one patch at a time. | A bedroom without a teddy is like a face without a smile.