Drupal supports RSD (Really Simple Discoverability) by means of the rsd.module, which can be found in the contributions repository.

Really Simple Discovery is a way to help client software find the services needed to read, edit, or "work with" server/weblogging software.

The goal is simple. To reduce the information required to UserName, Password, and homepage URL.

Comments

kyvinh@hcilib.sourceforge.net’s picture

Hi, I am kind of puzzled. As I understand, you need the URL to access to the RDS, which in turns gives you the URL to the RSS. Is that the purpose of RDS? Or is it completely different?
The statement "To reduce the information required to UserName, Password, and homepage URL." is quite confusing. I tried your archipalego link but it did not help my understanding...

raster’s picture

It has nothing to do with RSS.

RSD is for using third-party/desktop apps to edit content in systems that support things like the Blogger or MetaWeblog APIs. Archipalego is one such app, there are others as well.

These apps are hard to set up, as each API is a little different in how they do things...

cnelsonakgov’s picture

Perhaps you're thinking about an rdf file (used to be called rss?) that is used to syndicate news like the one found here on freshmeat.net

http://freshmeat.net/backend/fm.rdf

raster’s picture

BlogApp is an example of an application that would benefit from RSD.

In theory you would just launch it, and point it at your site, and it would 'discover' what API's and features are provided or supported.

Here are some other desktop blogging tools.

These may or may not work with Drupal. I have tested BlogApp and it does seem to work with Drupal, though it doesn't support everything Drupal does, like Taxonomy...

amy-1’s picture

How'd you get BlogApp to work, out of curiosity?

Thanks.

Anonymous’s picture

here are some instructions to make it work.

Beasley-1’s picture

I would love to find some instructions on how to get Blogger and Drupal working together with the Blogger API - this link looked promising @ first, but is broken :(

Does anybuddy have a decent information resource they can point me to?

thanks,
{B}

sepeck’s picture

Please start a new thread and explain what you are attempting to accomplish.

There is so much change in Drupal in 3 years that you will only be confused trying to mesh information.

-sp
---------
Test site, always start with a test site.
Drupal Best Practices Guide -|- Black Mountain

-Steven Peck
---------
Test site, always start with a test site.
Drupal Best Practices Guide

raster’s picture

BlogApp was easy to set up.

In BlogApp's prefs I entered:

That's about it.

You will have to make sure Drupal has the bloggerapi module enabled, and that you have permissions set properly.

amy-1’s picture

The blogger API was the missing piece here.

I confess my ignorance.

Thanks

Anonymous’s picture

I think the best feature of BlogApp is it's ability to be customized to your needs. I don't see the benefit of building in RSD when there is only one option that the server would report back, weblog engine. The rest of BlogApp's settings are user preferences like notify weblogs.com or check spelling as you type, interface stuff.

It just seems like overkill for such a simple application.

raster’s picture

BlogApp was easy to set up, but other apps may not be. Especially since what is supported may be unknown, in the client as well as the server.

RSD should allow a server to tell a client eveything it supports, and the client should then be able to configure everything it needs to.

At least in theory...

Anonymous’s picture

In theory a user of BlogApp a user doesn't need the know the xml-rpc url, or what kind of interface to use. It's much easier for them to just type in their url, name and password.