Got an email today telling me that our websites are not compliant with disability laws:

====quote===

The following enquiry has been received:

Name:Amy Amy Wilson
Phone: 0000000000
Email:amywil.1976@gmail.com
Contact Method: Phone
Message: Hello, I deal with visual impairment and I am having issues navigating and reading content on your website. It is also not compatible with screenreader at all. I am disappointed your site is not compliant with disability discrimination act and other laws. I can share more details about the issues I am having. Do you have a liason for people with disability or communication/web team who can assist further? Can you please share the email address of the person who can assist me with this. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks Best Regards Amy Wilson

====unquote====/

Anyone for comments?

Comments

VM’s picture

danrod’s picture

It is important that your site meets the WCAG 2 (Level AA) standard for accessibility. Most of the basics of accessibility are fairly easy to implement. If you are new to accessibility, it takes some time and effort to learn the common issues and solutions.

Please have a look at this information here: https://www.w3.org/WAI/fundamentals/accessibility-intro/

sarsee’s picture

On 25th of Jan I received the same email from Amy Wilson

I have not responded as it seems like a scam to me, although they did have to click the recapture to submit the email via my website... which also makes me think that its a false email

Can I ask you what industry you are in ? Mine is hairdressing

gervloothuis’s picture

@sarsee - My dad was a hairdresser...  He always wanted me to take over the salon but I never did.  I went into telecommunications and fibre optics.  And in that game you always need to put up dozens of websites for this, that and the other.  Just cannot stay away from it :-)

sarsee’s picture

Are you based in Victoria?

I cant see how we would receive the same email from the same person in regards to completely separate industries, without it being some sort of scam!

gervloothuis’s picture

I used to live in Melbourne. Moved to the Gold Coast seven years ago.  Still have a big library of websites that came with.  I don’t think any specific industry was targeted. Just random spam to everyone within sight........