What is the best forum module to use for Drupal? The core is a bit lacking. I'm thining of investigating: http://drupal.org/project/advanced_forum

Anybody have any better suggestions?

Comments

sprite’s picture

Drupal 7 and the advanced forum module, helper modules available for the advanced forum module, along with ACL module for access control, is the best way to create a forum within a Drupal website. You will also want to use the "crumbs module" to customize the breadcrumbs when using advanced forum. The forum URLs can all be configured with pathauto patterns, which is really helpful too.

The advanced forum module is designed so that it has its own .CSS support, but it also picks up some .css layout queues from site's main theme.

Also, be prepared to need to insert some .CSS adjustments for the column widths and column heading text colors.

Beyond the above, the advanced forum module includes most of the features one would expect from standalone forum systems, but with the benefit that the forum is tightly integrated with drupal. All the topics and replies are Drupal nodes and the forum container hierarchy is built with taxonomy.

spritefully yours
Technical assistance provided to the Drupal community on my own time ...
Thank yous appreciated ...

baharmf93’s picture

thanks

sprite’s picture

spritefully yours

thomasmurphy’s picture

We routinely deliver forums just with a new content type, a taxonomy vocabulary, display suite and a few views. We've stopped using the built in forum module because it's not flexible enough, it has views-like outputs which aren't alterable or friendly to front-end development.

sprite’s picture

The advanced forum module on Drupal 7, and its helper modules, together are actually a pretty nice forum suite, and quite CSS and theming friendly, while the core forum module is less so. The advanced forum also plays nice with the ACL module (advanced forum privacy) and the content access module.

spritefully yours

gschudel’s picture

@thomasmurphy
Hey, essentially you just used elements of drupal core to create a forum? Do you know of any online tutorials that do this?