Hello I noticed with Drupal many people who create modules or themes generally stop quite fast I was thinking do you think it would be at all worth while some of us say putting money into a bank account for say modules or themes we want or to help current ones keep on working ?

Comments

ressa’s picture

The maintainer of the Webform module has suggested a centralized "Sponsor a Feature"-system for modules. It sounds interesting: http://www.jrockowitz.com/blog/agreement

It is of course already possible to contact a module maintainer directly, and sponsor them for a specific task, or just as a "thank you!" :-)

seonom’s picture

Sounds wonderful I was thinking something like say we get 10,000 people in the group each person say donate $1 each month =$10,000 use that money to help creators of the modules or themes keep on working and also we could possibly sometimes for example say one of us comes up with a idea which would cost say $2000 we could put special donate for say $2000 to raise the money for the module but for donating people could donate anything they want extra but a minimum of say $1 a month for it.

adamjmknox’s picture

But the problem is the practice. Which modules creators/maintainers get the money? How much? Do different modules deserve different amounts based on use? On complexity of code?

^^Ressa's mention of the Rockowitz blog is perfect, and his blog post is poignant and well thought out. In a perfect world, the creator/maintainer is able to leverage the module/skills/knowledge into some modicum or form of financial success which in turn drives the support of said module.

Definitely deserves a conversation at least.

seonom’s picture

Agreed well I was planning basically everyone gets a equal share to stop disputes or making money management really complex. People who want to get some of the money join the group for it and get share from it.

I will give that blog a read.