Hi, I'm looking into doing a large-scale Drupal rollout, and am interested in creating dynamic aggregations based on either role or taxonomy.

The thing is that for either of these, I'll need to not only dynamically populate the role/taxonomy, but dynamically create it as well. Is one easier to work with than the other?

For example:

Student A is enrolled in Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 during a semester.
Student B is enrolled in Class 1, Class 45, Class 149

I'd like to be able to give them permission to post to those classes based on taxonomy/role, and then aggregate Class blogs based on that (why I'm looking to taxonomy)

The larger taxonomy/role set can be populated at the beginning of each semester if necessary, although it'd be nice if that could be done dynamically.

Because there will be a large number of items in the taxonomy/role (several thousand), the views on posting should be restricted to what they have available.

Is there an idea of a personal taxonomy? Will this scale? I'm interested in the idea of dynamic privacy control for taxonomies for this. (Based on role is ok. Is this possible?)

This would also help in the sense that I have a site I'm beginning to use Drupal for a code release site. One of the taxonomies is for 'Projects' and I'd like to be able to keep some of that private. Is that possible?

Comments

killes@www.drop.org’s picture

I think you should consider setting up individual drupal sites per class and have a setup where some tables are shared between the class Drupals. This way the instructor only needs to give his students a valid role on his sub-site and the student can then access the site with hi spassword (which will be the same on all class Drupals).

Gathering the blogs you want could be done through the aggregator module getting alls the blogs as feeds.

--
If you have troubles with a particular contrib project, please consider to file a support request. Thanks.

lhl’s picture

Killes, your suggestion is appreciated, but that'd be.. erm, impossible. We have 5000+ classes *per semester*. This I believe would be problematic.

We have technical (and will probably have some financial) resources available. Is any of what I discussed above on a roadmap? No blogging package has what we want, so we're open to contributing, but want to make sure that fits within the roadmap or is located appropriately out of the way so it doesn't conflict w/ the roadmap.

harald.walker’s picture

I wonder how many students would be using this if you already have 5000+ classes. Drupal's performance (or the performance of your database) might become a problem.

lhl’s picture

Harald, see: Drupal for the EDU Enterprise (40K users?). I'm following up w/ Bryght and some others, but we have a fairly scalable MySQL backend going up, which should be adequate as long as we have a decent caching setup.

killes@www.drop.org’s picture

Well, you'd need 5000 databases then (or you can share databases and go for prefixes). Sure, that's not a very slim thing and you will need some elaborate database setup for this.

If you prefer to keep everthing in one big site, this can be done through the
new node access API. I think that a taxonomy with 5000 terms (= classes) might be difficutl to maintain, though.

There is nothing like this on a roadmap (partly because it already can be done.). This of course would be pushing Drupal beyond any similar installs I know and woul dneed quite a lot of testing. You can contact me if you want to discuss this per email.
--
If you have troubles with a particular contrib project, please consider to file a support request. Thanks.

lhl’s picture

Well, 5000 separate DBs might be fine for each class, but would defeat the purpose of having a single 'user' or editing framework where they would be able to manage all the personal content they generate. I don't really see such a setup even remotely meeting the original intention, so I'm not sure about the 'can already be done' part.

Perhaps I am miscommunicating. I shall clarify what I'd want to implement enhancements-wise:
* User-centric - All posts by a user belong to user, can be managed from central interface
* Roles/Categories - A user will belong to / see a unique set of categories
* Dynamic Aggregations based on said categories
* Privacy/Publishing control - control who can see what
* Private Messaging - specifically for comments/feedback

Bonus: user creation of adhoc groups for collaboration

I have some other balls I'm juggling at the moment, but over the next few weeks I will be working on a proposal and evaluation of what options are available. I'll drop you and some others from previous conversations a line, and also try to either swing by #drupal or post appropriately to discuss with the right people on how improvements made might fit in the larger picture (we have resources for enhancements, but we'd really like to work w/in existing plans, w/ the community on this).