Hello everyone!

I have been reading up on different content management systems that can serve as a sort of portal for social networking/community websites. I have been trying both Joomla and Drupal and have finally decided on Drupal.

Since I am new to Drupal, I dont know what modules would come in handy for the project. I do know that this will require more work than just adding and activating modules. I currently have CCK, OG, Privatemsg, and Views. Otherwise, Im at a stump at what to add. Can you offer any suggestions?

Comments

VM’s picture

modules should not be added just to be added. You simply add features that your community will need or that they ask for. The more modules you add the more taxing a CMS can become on a server. Especially a shared server where ceilings are implemented on the amount of resources you can use.

Start small, work toward big. Too much too soon creates a headache when you have to work backwards. Consider reading up on the social networking group over at groups.drupal.org

Necro768’s picture

I understand, but I want to start out with general features (user profiles, messaging, forums, etc.) and then ask users what they want. My host is lenient in the area of resources for being a shared host and I have the space and bandwith currently to handle a good amount of users. I just want to know what modules will allow me to add the networking features I want.

Ive just gotten MySite going, which seems to offer a good solution for profiles, but its needs a little coding to get the right feel.

AainaalyaA’s picture

I've used Joomla prior it was renamed from Mambo. {Meaning for many years} If Joomla had been an MJ12 agent, it'd have a plethora of aliases as it is. I'm going to write a review on Drupal sometime this week, so I'll not spring a leak too much here.

The modules which you'd most likely need would be in the regions of what your SN is all about. If it's just to have a simple SN with blogs, forum and pms, then you should only contend with something not as complex as Drupal {unless you're a dev} - even SMF is good enough for that - and you can always play around with a plethora of ... EMS/CMS in the market.

I'd suggest as a prerequisite

The Guestbook {both site-wide, as well as for users} there's a mod, but I can't remember the name - I'd suggest you get into say 2 or 3 max SNs' to study what is there in the market - they don't have to be running joomla or drupal for you to figure what you want. WP {wordpress} is equally good, when it comes to 'building' SNs

Concept
Work around the concept

ex {example}:
Concept - Football / Soccer

mods:

Gallery / News block {nodes} / pms / forum / audiovideo {only if you want to have that to broadcast all the best goals achieved in the 21st cent}. / Extended profile / google analytics / pdfview if you intend to have say a premium section for paid members to download premium content in pdf format as reference - say maybe how to score a goal on the fields, as well as in life! / printable / promote_blocks / sitemap / etcetera

So it all depends on how you want to work around playing with your concept - make the site user friendly - remember its not just your commuity, but a community of like-minded members.

Something to look into:

http://www.sacredcowdung.com/archives/2006/01/highperformance.html

AsidrA Society | www.AsidrA.com