Comments

dnewkerk’s picture

Subscribing, as I'm very interested in Drupal performance improvements. I'm running some tests of my own as well (on performance of the forum.module in my case), which degrades exponentially the more nodes that are added due to several bad queries. I'm currently adding nodes to the forum in batches of 10,000 nodes each with 8 replies per node, and tracking the performance changes (saving pdf output of the forum list, topic list, thread, etc, with Devel module stats displayed). I'm hoping to graph the results out to more clearly illustrate the performance drop.

I haven't figured out yet how any large-size Drupal forum is functioning at all (I'm guess either custom caching in a way I don't know about yet, or else hacked the queries in forum.module). I'm migrating to Drupal from a custom-coded forum of this size (100,000 threads and 800,000 replies) which is un-modular (hence the change to Drupal), but to its credit could scale nearly infinitely without measurable performance loss. If the Drupal forum takes so long to load with 100,000 nodes, I can only imagine it when it reaches 2+ million.

Good luck with your tests - I hope they lead to some great improvements :)

-- David
absolutecross.com
[new guide/lesson in progress: Creating a CCK and Views powered Drupal site - feedback welcome]