Can Drupal handle 200.000 nodes per year? Each node to have one or two images either via image module (attached images) or CCK imagefield (any other suggestions?). What hardware will be needed to serve this volume to around 150 users? Can Apache and MySQL handle this volume efficiently?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

bestknight’s picture

Can anyone help please?

themegarden.org’s picture

It isn't question could drupal handle 200.000 nodes/year. It's question about hosting.
Apache and MySQL on proper hardware and configured properly, can give you really good performance.

And your question isn't clear enough. What did you mean with 200.000 nodes per year? Created nodes, visited nodes ...?
"volume around 150 users"? Concurrent user in peaks, total users at all ... ?

Take look at some interesting reading:
http://www.workhabit.org/fifteen-tips-for-capacity-planning-and-initial-...
http://www.workhabit.org/high-availability-performance-and-scalability

---
Drupal Theme Garden
Drupal Hosting Aritcle

bestknight’s picture

Thank you for the input, themegarden.org.

Sorry if my question is not clear enough. To clarify: I am talking about 200.000 created nodes per year and about 150 total users with (say) 30 maximum concurrent users.

I have been over the articles you have suggested.To put down a scenario as regards the 2 articles:
would a hosting solution with Virtual servers be able to handle this for the next couple of years?
or would my own box at a hosting company with Linux - Apache -MySQL be needed from the start?

I assume that the Linux-Apache-MySQL infrastructure can be scaled upwards to cover the next 5-10 years. How about Drupal though? Could Drupal handle the 200.000 nodes per year for the next couple of years / or for the next 5 years / or for the next 10 years?

My questions might seem either naive or just not clear - its the difficulty of trying to communicate with a well educated technical person when you do not have the deep knowledge / understanding of the subject.

Thank you for your time and attention.