I don't find a way to edit a forum post once I saved it. The same with an issue for a module. It would save me from writing nonsense or doubling a thread that asalready been opened. I

Is there any reason for that?

Comments

VM’s picture

those permissions are not enabled for registered users on drupal.org

mcsolas’s picture

Sometimes in application design, you run into users expectations because..

1. The user has already seen the feature correctly implemented on 1000's of other sites

2. It performs an important role in data maintenance.

Personally, I edit nearly every post after a few minutes (and noticed that I couldnt on my first forum post). Its a real annoyance not to be able to make simple corrections like correcting typos or fixing a broken link ( as time goes on , believe it or not, sometimes links break ).

---
Also immediately noticed there was no subscription system (enabled). That Q. was addressed in another thread, although I am far from convinced that its not a core functionality of a forum...
---

Of course you may be wondering why I have such strong / specific opinions on forum functionality.. its because I was well into designing my own open source forum for the Coldfusion community ( PHP has their forum offerings well covered but there is a lot of major corporate sites running coldfusion with horrid forum software ).

I spent a great deal of time researching both forum UI design and forum functionality. I tore apart mybb, smf, vanilla, phpbb, IPB & vB to find 'best practice' examples, and compare which features were common across all forums.

This blog entry I madehas several links to useful forum related locations .. the "anatomy of a forum" articles on 1lotus.com were very good, although I did disagree with some of the 'oversimplification' that is discussed there.

pwolanin’s picture

the link above is broken

---
Work: BioRAFT

mcsolas’s picture

Sorry .. I decided blogging was for the birds and de-published the whole thing.

Those are some of the links I was referring to.

http://theartisticoutlaw.com/anatomy-of-a-forum-part-one/
http://theartisticoutlaw.com/anatomy-of-a-forum-part-two/

pwolanin’s picture

The reason is basically so that the later comments make sense in terms of what you originally wrote. If you can change what you wrote after people commented, it could be awkward.

For the same reason, you can't edit your comment once someone replies to it.

---

eigentor’s picture

I see - I only can't edit it, if I'm the one to open a topic. If I comment, I can edit as long as nobody else replies.

I'm happy being miserable

pwolanin’s picture

Not totally consistent, but there it is.

---

orenz’s picture

what if you just want to correct a spelling mistake?

VM’s picture

ask a maintainer to do so for you, or live with it : ) typos go with the internet like cookies go with milk : )

Calnole’s picture

I need to remove a post. How can I do this ASAP?

VM’s picture

what node are you looking to have removed ? Hard to help when you've not linked anything.

If its been commented on already chances are it won't be removed.

As a site maintainer I can help you, howeverk, in future you should file an issue, using the issues link in you navigation menu and file it to the drupal.org webmasters query.

I'll try to keep my eye on this post in order to help you.

Calnole’s picture

I just need one line of a post removed. I listed my website address on a job post and would like that line taken off.

http://drupal.org/node/220885

VM’s picture

recheck post.

removed phone number
site link & mailto link