Hello,

I've started to create my drupal site and would like to define new user roles. If someone could point out tutorial on user management, that would be really helpful. I've already read quite many, but they lack e.g. the answers to following questions:

(a) When I create a new user role (let's call it "content_creator"), can I define that it has e.g. "right 1 + right 2 + it inherits all the rights from group 'authenticated user' "?

(b) Or should I just create new user role called "content_creator" and manually add same rights to it that are defined to role "authenticated user" + the addional ones?

(c) Is it possible to change the role name "authenticated user" -> "content_creator"?

(d) Is it possible to configure that when new user registers to my drupal site, they are automatically assigned to user group "content_creator" rather than user group "authenticated user?

Best regards, Harri

Comments

VM’s picture

a) core already does this, if autenticated users have certain rights so do roles above authenticated. The essense being that these newly created roles are also authenticated roles.

b) see a

c) Not that I am aware but you could use the role weights.module and put "content creator" before authenticated user

d) investigate the plethora of modules in the downloads area. There are multiple mdoules that may accomplsih this. loggintoboggan.module, role signup.module so on so forth, test them on a test site to find the one taht includes the functionality you seek

hartsa-1’s picture

Thanks for the answer VeryMisunderstood,

a) What does "roles above authenticated" mean? How can I define that certain role is "above" some other (with drupal core functionalities). Is this e.g. some default setting? I couldn't find such option from drupal GUI. Or does the weights.module implement just this specific feature?

d) Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. I'd just like to investigate the possibilities that drupal core offers, before installing additional modules.

Best Regards, Harri

VM’s picture

a) above == to after. ie: anon -> authenticated -> some other role -> yet another role -> still another role
core automatically puts newly created roles after authenticated role as such those roles inherit the permissions from authenticated role. Whereas authenticated doesn't from anon role.

you cannot alter this functionality or order without using the modules like previously mentioned. ie: roleweights.module and the others

d) you won't find options in core for what you are asking.

hartsa-1’s picture

I got it now, thanks.

Best regards, Harri

vito_swat’s picture

Hold your horses. Authenticated role does not inherit permissions form anon. You can easly check this by enabling ie. show user profiles for anonymous visitors and not for authenticated. Only roles you create inherits form authenticated role (and only form it). No other inherits are present in core.

Vito

VM’s picture

simple typo corrected in above post.

horses held and re released.

pfaocle’s picture

Incidentally, Role Weights does allow ordering of roles but does not currently affect permissions, or "permission inheritance" (which AFAIK only happens with the "Authenticated User" role - any logged in user gains permissions from this role as well as any additional roles given to them).

---
Paul Byrne
pfaocle.co.uk | CTI digital