On a site I am working on I found the use of the links and nodeapi to be very useful and begun to use it a lot to allow different "attachments" to nodes, such as adding an image gallery to the bottom of a node, adding rating to nodes, attaching maps to nodes, etc.

But I encountered 2 usability problems -

1. The elements added in the different nodeapis appear at the bottom of the node in no order at all, except for the select done on the modules in module.inc line 54. This creates cases where book navigation can appear before before images related to the node.

2. When adding or editing a node you get a long list of nodeapi options, even if some are not relevant to this type of node. This was solved nicely in the new event module by adding settings for the type of nodes the event nodeapi is relevant to. But this requires a lot of code in different part of nodeapi function and more settings to each nodeapi based module.

My suggestion is creating a nodeapi and links settings page, where the admin can decide on relation between the nodes and the nodeapi and links, which should appear for each type of node and in what order.

I'm also ready to write this patch, but before that I'm interested in your thoughts about this issue.

Dru