While I was reading the posts today, I come across this comment and It made me think that a glossary of the terms that is used in drupal would be very useful for those who are trying to learn drupal.

I have been reading the handbook's and the drupaldoc's pages for a long time. Although I've learnt a lot, It took me a lot of time and effort to get the meaning of some terms, name of some variables, database field names etc.

How about making a colaborative glossary? People can open entries and others can answer or edit them.

Comments

sepeck’s picture

We have a section in the handbook for this
http://drupal.org/node/21951

If you believe a given definition is missing on a specific page or have one that belongs, add a comment and it will get incorporated over time.

If you believe that the subject in question needs a longer stand alone answer, then feel free to add a page to the handbook. It goes into moderation and will get reviewed and approved (generally within a week or two depending on who's doing what 'we don't have scheduled hours :)' ).

If you are nuts and want to dive in and really help out, sign up to the documentation list and dig in. We are always happy to have more folks helping out.

As to that specifc comment, forms api is new. Very very new. As it's already in the handbook I am not entirely sure it should go in until everything has stabilize. In the post, I provided a link that actually took you to a page about forms api, a subset of the overall Drupal api. :) Thox porvided a link to the specific page.

Drupal is capable of wiki like behavior (especially 4.7 with killes revision patch) and there is perdiodic discussion on this issue on various Drupal lists. I don't remember where opinion currently stands. It will probably be a good thing to revisit when Drupal.org itself gets upgraded to 4.7RC in a few weeks.

-sp
---------
Test site, always start with a test site.
Drupal Best Practices Guide -|- Black Mountain

-Steven Peck
---------
Test site, always start with a test site.
Drupal Best Practices Guide

soup’s picture

As a newbie to PHP and Drupal, there have been many a-ha's when going through the settings and forming categories when a few examples and demos would really move the project forward much quicker. It can also ease the worry that the sky will fall on me (a WordPress term ;-) if I deleted the wrong thing!

I am of the notion that newbies, especially those who like myself who are not programmers, learn best by example and 'get it' very quickly once given a quick practical how to - after the explanation of concepts, terminologies and what-it-is, which is what the Drupal handbook is good at.

For example,

The taxonomy module allows you to classify content into categories and subcategories...

It explains what it is but newbie users (or useless) like myself need to know how to implement them in a way which I am already familiar with, or at least form a close mental map.

For instance, if I use the vocabulary built by the taxonomy module as a navigation button (page), how then do I get the sub-categories of that vocab to show up in that page? How do I add other content on to the same page?

Some examples of commonly used practical methods and tricks would, I feel, come in handy. This can be quite limiting to what Drupal can offer, given its flexibility and power. However, it might get 'simple-to-moderate' sites up and running much sooner - time better spent on fine tuning Drupal to their needs.

Perhaps in a future wiki? Or maybe I'm just slow...

cel4145’s picture

I don't think anyone disagrees that how to documentation is a good idea. Unfortunately, people want them when they get started and rarely come back and create them once they have become more experienced with Drupal. As you are working Drupal, I would encourage you to begin building such explanations yourself if you find they are not available in the handbook. They would much appreciated :)

laura s’s picture

With some mouseover-accessible definitions at hand on all posts, it might be easier for people to get up on the learning curve. Since the definitions have unique formatting, they don't have to look like regular hyperlinks.

As a member of the documentation list, I could help on this.

Laura
===
pingVisionrare patternscattered sunshine

_____ ____ ___ __ _ _
Laura Scott :: design » blog » tweet

cel4145’s picture

First, Dries is usually not too keen on using too many contrib modules with drupal.org. He would have to be convinced.

Second, I'm wondering if the time would be better spent develop howto tutorials instead?

Nevertheless, if you are serious, see what the documentation list says :-)

graemes’s picture

Personally I just don't get drupal and I've been making websites for 2 years. I'm still going to figure it out, but let me be frank. It's not made very easy to understand and there is a paucity of resources available on the net, which are just rehashes.

I anticipate I will be attacked for being so blatant, but in this instance I feel that it is a survival point not for myself but for Drupal. How soon does todays CMS of the future become yesterdays anachronism, depends upon the able job of the skilled communicators and marketers to bring it to as wide an audience as possible.

Surely it can be seen that adoption will be stifled by an esoteric language without efforts at simplification without loss of meaning or power.

Yes I am a Drupal Newbie but I am now qualified to have my say since now is the time that I should say it.

Please make it easier for newbies to learn. Don't worry about releasing Drupal 4.8. Write the simple user manual and easy glossary for boneheads first. It is more important.

I am not interested in debating but if you know a good tutorial for newbies then I am interested in that, but I have looked far and wide and I couldn't find it.

If you as a Drupal user wish to have an easier time of it when you try to recommend Drupal to your client then you will be glad of the simple user manual and easy to follow glossary.

Thank you for listening
Respect.

laura s’s picture

Like everything else at Drupal.org, the documentation is a volunteer effort -- what people do in their spare time to help out. Maybe you'd like to chip in? You can start by joining the documentation list at http://drupal.org/mailing-lists

Laura
_____ ____ ___ __ _ _
design, snap, blog

_____ ____ ___ __ _ _
Laura Scott :: design » blog » tweet

Wolfflow’s picture

My post here is

FYI:: As of this post will always be found (throughout google search: glossary site:drupal.org)
and as of in this thread comment :
feel free to add page
the reference:

We have a section in the handbook for this link href="http://drupal.org/node/21951

points to a page with title "Overview" that contain no evident link to the actual Terminology page.

Cheers - Wolfflow
Share your experience with the Open Source Community.
It's not only a choice but a Life Philosophy !!! Adaccs - Do you care?
I'm a No English Native remind

Contact me for drupal projects in English, German, Italian, Drupal Hosting Support.

naught101’s picture

See also #544592: Update/spice up/generally improve End User Guide.

That "terminology" page is great, however, I think it'd still make sense to have a separate end-user glossary, with some of the terms cut out, and a few of them re-written to be more understandable for people who've never done any web-design before.

For example, while the "Theme" definition is correct ("A theme is a file or collection of files (PHP, INFO, CSS, JPG, GIF, PNG), which together determine the look and feel of a site..."), it would be more useful for end-users to have something describing how the theme defines the text formatting and the separate regions of the page.