Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
Here's the current status of Drupal 8 and where best to help out. See also Drupal Core Updates for ongoing status updates.
What is the current status of Drupal 8?
- Drupal 8 release cycle information
- Drupal 8 software translation status and contribution information
- Allowed changes during the Drupal 8 release cycle
What about contributed projects?
Because Drupal 7 to 8 represents numerous API changes, module, theme, and distribution maintainers must port their projects from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8. Here's a chart of all the top contributed projects and their porting status for D8.
For more information, see the Drupal 8 Contrib Porting Tracker project page.
Drupal 8 Contrib Office Hours
Porting a module and want some advice on Drupal 8 best practices? There are contrib office hours (typically, 1 hour long) happening weekly at the following days/times, with folks on hand to lend expertise.
- Asia Pacific (lead by @larowlan): Friday @ 12pm noon GMT+10 (what is that in my timezone?) in #drupal-au
- Europe (lead by @bojanz): Friday @ 2pm CET (what is that in my timezone?) in #drupal-contribute
- North/South America (lead by @tim.plunkett): Friday @ 12pm noon Pacific (what is that in my timezone?) in #drupal-contribute
Here are some resources for folks porting their code:
- Upgrade Status module, to provide a personalized report on your site's D8 readiness.
- Drupal Module Upgrader, to help automate the porting of code
- Guide on Converting modules from D7 to D8
- API change records, which document changes from D7 to D8.
How can I help? (core)
Just starting out, and need a hand learning the ropes?
If you're new to contributing to core, check out Core contribution mentoring hours. Every week, you can log into #drupal in IRC and helpful Drupal core mentors will get you set up with answers to any of your questions, plus provide some useful issues to work on. Or, read about the different contributor tasks you can do to help on Drupal.org issues.
Know what you're doing, and looking for something to tackle?
If you're an experienced Drupal contributor already (not necessarily on Drupal 8) but would like some guidance on which critical issues would be great for you to solve, join #drupal-contribute in IRC.
If you'd like to contribute to a particular Drupal 8 initiative or working group, check the sidebar for a list of regularly scheduled meetings on the Drupal 8 calendar.
Upcoming D8 Sprints
Helping Drupal 8 is even more fun in person! Come join up with a Drupal 8 sprint near you:
|January 29 - February 2||New Jersey, USA||DrupalCamp NJ|
|January 30-31||Everywhere!||Global Sprint Weekend|
|February 18-21||Mumbai, India||DrupalCon Asia|
|March 17-20||Chicago, USA||MidCamp|