Drupal 4.7.0 beta 2 is now available for download at http://drupal.org/files/projects/drupal-4.7.0-beta2.tar.gz. This is the second beta release of the forthcoming Drupal 4.7.0 release.
Over 50 bugs have been fixed since beta 1, but we know there are still more to find, report, and fix. Being a community, this is a community effort and we need as much of the community as we can get to come forward and help us out so that we can get this system to a stable 4.7.0 release. Read on for more information about how you can help.
Ways that you can help:
- Download Drupal 4.7.0 beta 2 and install it on a test platform. For instructions on installing or upgrading Drupal, please consult INSTALL.txt or UPGRADE.txt respectively, as well as the documentation available in the handbook. You can use the development module to quickly populate an empty database, or you can upgrade an existing Drupal 4.6 database. As with everything still in development, take precautions with your data.
- Get your users to participate on a test site. Nothing finds bugs like a lot of people doing different things. Even just perusing the logs might find bugs.
- Participate in the bug hunt! Prizes are awarded for people who find the most actual bugs!
- Participate by reviewing patches! Go to the patch queue and review some patches. The process of reviewing a patch works like this: first, using the system stated, replicate the bug. Then install the patch. Ensure that the bug no longer exists. Look around to make sure that the patch didn't break anything else. Look at the code of the patch. Make sure the patch is good code and conforms to the coding standards. If the patch checks out, give it a +1!
- Fix bugs! Go to the pending bug list and find some bugs. Track them down. You can learn a lot about the Drupal system by fixing the bugs people find. You can ask questions of the developers on the IRC channel, #drupal on irc.freenode.net. They're busy fixing bugs too, but many if not most will be willing to give pointers to anyone who wants to help!
- Come to the Bug Fix Party on IRC. It'll be fun. We need people to review patches!