Create a custom content type
- Navigate to the Content types page (Administer > Structure > Content types).
- Click Add Content Type.
- In the Name field, add a name for the content type. The name is required.
- In the Description field, you can write a description of the content type that will show up on the Add new content page (Administer > Content > Add new content). The description is not required.
- Set your preferred default values for this content type. Any content that you create of this content type will have these values by default. The values can be overridden for each content created. You can specify default values for Submission form settings, Publishing options, Display settings, Comment settings and Menu settings.
- Do one of the following:
- To add the content type using only the title and body fields, click Save Content Type. You can add more fields later.
- To add the content type and begin adding more fields, click Save and Add Fields
Note that if you start entering a name into the name field, a "machine name" starts showing to the right of the title. To edit the machine name, click the edit link.
Submission form settings
In the Title field label, you may add a title for your content type. For example, if your content type is "Furniture," you can choose a title of "Furniture Type." Note: The default for this field is "Title."
The default publishing options are Published and Promoted to front page. Additional options are available.
The Display Settings has one option which allows the Author username and publish date to be displayed with the content.
There are many options available in the Comment settings. The default values allow for 50 comments to be published per page in a threaded list. If you're a beginner, you may want to keep these default values.
There is more information on the comment settings at: Administering a content type's comment settings.
In the Menu settings you can choose which default parent item to use. This comes in handy when using taxonomy in your site.