Last updated May 25, 2015.
- Critical bugs: no more than 15
- Major bugs: no more than 100
- Critical tasks: no more than 15
- Major tasks: no more than 100
(Earlier in the release cycle, Drupal 7 issues also counted toward Drupal 8 issue thresholds.)
When the issue thresholds are exceeded, core temporarily enters a period of restricted development:
- New features will not be committed, since new features tend to add technical debt.
- Relatively minor patches that touch a lot of files (e.g., coding standards clean-ups) will also not be committed until thresholds are met, to ensure that more urgent bug fixes are able to target a relatively stable code base.
As soon as issue counts are again under thresholds, these patches can be accepted again. This means that the best way to get a feature in is to help keep major and critical counts down.
Frequently asked questions
See the release cycle FAQ.