- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CORE-2014-005
- Project: Drupal core
- Version: 7.x
- Date: 2014-Oct-15
- Security risk: 25/25 ( Highly Critical) AC:None/A:None/CI:All/II:All/E:Exploit/TD:All
- Vulnerability: SQL Injection
Drupal 7 includes a database abstraction API to ensure that queries executed against the database are sanitized to prevent SQL injection attacks.
A vulnerability in this API allows an attacker to send specially crafted requests resulting in arbitrary SQL execution. Depending on the content of the requests this can lead to privilege escalation, arbitrary PHP execution, or other attacks.
This vulnerability can be exploited by anonymous users.
Update: Multiple exploits have been reported in the wild following the release of this security advisory, and Drupal 7 sites which did not update soon after the advisory was released may be compromised. See this follow-up announcement for more information: https://www.drupal.org/PSA-2014-003
CVE identifier(s) issued
- Drupal core 7.x versions prior to 7.32.
Install the latest version:
- If you use Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Drupal core 7.32.
If you are unable to update to Drupal 7.32 you can apply this patch to Drupal's database.inc file to fix the vulnerability until such time as you are able to completely upgrade to Drupal 7.32.
- Stefan Horst
- Stefan Horst
- Greg Knaddison of the Drupal Security Team
- Lee Rowlands of the Drupal Security Team
- David Rothstein of the Drupal Security Team
- Klaus Purer of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
We've prepared a FAQ on this release. Read more at https://www.drupal.org/node/2357241.
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at
Edits to this advisory since publishing
- Updated risk factor from 20/25 to 25/25 once exploits did appear
- Edited to add link to PSA.