- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CORE-2013-001
- Project: Drupal core
- Version: 6.x, 7.x
- Date: 2013-January-16
- Security risk: Highly critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting, Access bypass
Multiple vulnerabilities were fixed in the supported Drupal core versions 6 and 7.
Cross-site scripting (Various core and contributed modules - Drupal 6 and 7)
jQuery versions 1.6.3 and higher provide protection against common forms of this problem; thus, the vulnerability is mitigated if your site has upgraded to a recent version of jQuery. However, the versions of jQuery that are shipped with Drupal 6 and Drupal 7 core do not contain this protection.
Although the fix added to Drupal as part of this security release prevents the most common forms of this issue in the same way as newer versions of jQuery do, developers should be aware that passing untrusted user input directly to jQuery functions such as jQuery() and $() is unsafe and should be avoided.
CVE: CVE-2013-0244 (a CVE was also separately issued for jQuery)
Access bypass (Book module printer friendly version - Drupal 6 and 7)
A vulnerability was identified that exposes the title or, in some cases, the content of nodes that the user should not have access to.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that the bypass is only accessible to users who already have the 'access printer-friendly version' permission (which is not granted to Anonymous or Authenticated users by default) and it only affects nodes that are part of a book outline.
Access bypass (Image module - Drupal 7)
Drupal core provides the ability to have private files, including images. A vulnerability was identified in which derivative images (which Drupal automatically creates from these images based on "image styles" and which may differ, for example, in size or saturation) did not always receive the same protection. Under some circumstances, this would allow users to access image derivatives for images they should not be able to view.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that it only affects sites which use the Image module and which store images in a private file system.
CVE identifier(s) issued
- Drupal core 6.x versions prior to 6.28.
- Drupal core 7.x versions prior to 7.19.
Install the latest version:
- If you use Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Drupal core 6.28.
- If you use Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Drupal core 7.19.
Also see the Drupal core project page.
- The cross-site scripting issue in various Drupal core and contributed modules was reported by t.ashula, and by David Rothstein of the Drupal Security Team.
- The access bypass issue in the Book module was reported by Mark Lindsey.
- The access bypass issue in the Drupal 7 Image module was reported by Kressin Roger, Christian Johansson, Anders Olsson and saschadrupal.
- The cross-site scripting issue in various Drupal core and contributed modules was fixed by t.ashula, Théodore Biadala, Katherine Bailey, Steve De Jonghe and J. Renée Beach, and by Dylan Tack, Greg Knaddison, David Rothstein and Damien Tournoud of the Drupal Security Team.
- The access bypass issue in the Book module was fixed by Mark Lindsey, and by Fox, David Rothstein and Peter Wolanin of the Drupal Security Team.
- The access bypass issue in the Drupal 7 Image module was fixed by Heine Deelstra of the Drupal Security Team, and by Anders Olsson.
- David Rothstein, Gábor Hojtsy, Stéphane Corlosquet, Greg Knaddison, Heine Deelstra and Peter Wolanin of the Drupal Security Team
- Jeremy Thorson of the QA/Testing Infrastructure Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.